How to become an Offshore Medic – Part 1

Taking your first steps into a larger world…

Becoming an Offshore Medic.

One of the most common questions I get at Rig Medics is “How do I become an Offshore Medic?”. It’s actually a fairly straightforward process. You book a course, you do the course, you apply for a job. The bit people find difficult is working out what course to do, where to do it, and who to apply to for a job. Hopefully, the following article will help you answer those questions.

For an agency or company to even read your CV, you will need to have successfully completed the following…

  • An HSE Approved Medic Training Course. Depending on where you do it, you will receive a variety of additional First Aid and ALS certificates, but the all important one is the “HSE Approved Offshore Medic” one. It’s this one that will allow you to work offshore in the UK and just about anywhere else in the world. The course itself is about four weeks long when you do it the first time. Thereafter, you do a two week refresher every three years.
  • A UKOOA medical examination
  • An Opito approved survival course (known as BOSIET)
  • A course known as MIST (Minimum Industry Safety Training)
  • Shoulder width measurement.

If you check our links page you will find a whole heap of Training Establishments all over the country who provide this training. There is also a link that takes you to a page on the Oil And Gas UK website (formerly UKOOA) which has a searchable database of doctors who are approved to carry out the Medical Exam

Now, in order to get on the Medic course, there are certain requirements. In order for Medics to provide a good standard of care, a minimum set of qualifications and experience have been designated and are detailed below. They were identified by the HSE as being the minimum standard required to provide medics with enough experience to ‘fly solo’ so to speak.

  • Army: Combat Medical Technician Clas 1 (RAMC CMT Class 1)
  • Royal Navy: Leading Medical Assistant (LMA) or above
  • Royal Airforce: Corporal or above in the RAF Medical Branch
  • A Registered General Nurse (RGN) whose details appear in the UKCC Register in those sections relating to General Nursing (1,2,7 or 12) with at least 3 years post registration experience

(Source .aspx?course=255 )

Now there are some places that will consider applications on a case by case basis, but most training establishments will insist you have one of the above before they will allow you to do the course.

In Part 2 we’ll cover what the next stage of the process is – specifically, finding and completing the courses